Cold store complaints? Fogging on exterior glass of case doors? Slip hazards at entrances? Your problem might be stratification. Stratification is the tendency for hot air to rise towards the ceiling in large buildings with tall ceilings, and grocery stores often face this problem due to the a variety of temperatures present in the store. From the cold cases to the deli, with the front doors opening and closing for every new customer, maintaining a consistent temperature is tough. Without a destratification system, a badly stratified grocery store can be an awfully unpleasant place to work or shop.
Encourage Lingering in the Aisle – The Air Pear by Airius
Airius helps solve issues with stratified air with a line of high-impact destratification fans. Our sales team is ready to help you understand the movement of air in your store and recommend a selection of fans that suit your specific needs. Not only will an Airius fan make your store more comfortable for your employees and patrons by equalizing the temperature, it can significantly reduce HVAC bills by reducing the cooling load during the summer and recirculating warm air to the floor during winter.
Airius owns a utility patent on two key components of the Air Pear, the stator and venturi nozzle. This patent allow us to build a product that, unlike a ceiling fan, provides a narrow column of air that can be directed. This is a crucial component of grocery store destratification, as these components are built so that they will not interfere with open cold cases.
Airius fans can be installed in both dropped ceilings or an exposed structure.
- Air Pear Free Hanging FansDesigned for open ceiling applications, an Air Pear system utilizes several fans working in concert to improve comfort, save on HVAC energy costs and reduce your carbon footprint. Air Pear fans can accommodate ceiling heights from 8 to 100 feet.
- Air Pear Suspended Ceiling FansDesigned for a 2 ft. x 2 ft. acoustic ceiling tile, commonly found in offices, school classrooms and libraries, the Suspended Ceiling Air Pear can help alleviate comfort issues while saving energy. A dome over the top of the unit separates the plenum from the conditioned space below.
- Retail SeriesSpecifically designed for narrow aisle situations in grocery stores, Airius' Narrow Aisle fans provide an elongated airflow pattern to maximize spread down the length of an aisle while minimizing interference with open reach in cases.
Benefits to Grocery Stores
- Up to 35% reduction of heating costs
- Up to 30% reduction of cooling costs
- Increased comfort for customers and employees
- Maximizes the efficiency of all types of HVAC systems
- Simple installation
- Utilizes process heat, lighting and solar gain
- Reduced run time on existing HVAC equipment
- Reduced internal condensation and wet floors
- Reduced ceiling temperatures increasing lighting lifespan
- PHI units help mitigate odors, viruses, bacteria, and VOC’s
Nice and Fresh – Odor and Germ Control
Highly-trafficked shopping cart storage areas can be a germ concern. Seafood and meat, even fresh and well-stored, can harbor bacteria and odors. Some grocery stores opt to include an air purification system (PHI) to mitigate mold, bacteria, viruses, odors, and VOCs on select fans installed in these bacteria-rich environments. Learn more about PHI air purification»
- “There have been huge benefits with the overall reduction of relative humidity where the Air Pear destratifiers have been installed.” – Tom Hutchinson, Enreps LLC, Energy Management & HVAC Consultants
- “When I first saw the Airius Units I was very skeptical about them and really didn’t understand how they would work. The Airius Thermal Equalizer is a truly remarkable product with what they really do. They have neutralized and even out the temperature. The Airius units utilized the warmer air in the ceiling by bring it down in the aisles and mixing with the cooler air therefore, has balance and equalized the temperature. After installing the Airius Product I have received very positive feedback. There are no more complaints about the Freezer section aisles being too cold.” – Bob Booth, Electrical Dimensions, Portland, OR
- “We have been using Airius fans in our grocery stores for many years. The fans have always been reliable and provide excellent air movement. Since we started purchasing these fans I have never had an issue with them. All the employees of Airius that I have had the privilege of working with have been excellent and very responsive. Airius is on the cutting edge of air movement and is always looking for ways to improve their products. Definitely an economical solution to air stratification issues one might have. I have nothing but praise for them and recommend it to any company.” – Daniel Abrahamson, Lead Maintenance Technician, Natural Grocers Vitamin Cottage
- Alfalfa’s Market Case Study (PDF Download)
- Foodie’s Market Case Study (PDF Download)